I went to a poetry reading today.
Not suspecting that I would be chosen, I entered a contest to win tickets to attend a reading by poets who were shortlisted to win the Griffin Poetry Prize.
I won.
Initial reaction: Yay! I won something!
(Right now you're thinking: geez, this girl is some crazed artsy-fartsy type who's going to go on and on about poetic form, provide you with some pretentious review of the poets' works, then tell you who she thinks should win the prizes and why, etc, etc. You are SO wrong...)
A couple minutes later: Ummm...what am I going to do? I don't know much about poetry at all! I mean, there are some poems that I like, but I might be totally lost in there. I'd feel quite silly then, wouldn't I?
---
I went to the poetry reading with my sister. I saw her dose off a couple times, but I stayed awake. I actually liked the experience as a whole, and even liked and appreciated (with my limited knowledge) some of the poems. Of course, a great deal went over my head, but hey, it was something new and it was free, so I'm not complaining.
Here's part of a poem that I enjoyed:
Whatever you meant to love, in meaning to
You changed yourself: you are not who you are,
Your soul cut moment to moment by a blade
Of fresh desire, the ground sown with abandoned skins.
And at your inmost circle, what? A core that is
Not one. Poor fool, you are divided at the heart,
Lost in its maze of chambers, blood, and love,
A heart that will one day beat you to death.
~Excerpted from “Monologue for an Onion” published in Notes from the Divided Country: Poems by Suji Kwock Kim.
Wednesday, June 02, 2004
Blogs
my del.icio.us
Previous Posts
- My stomach is still rumbling...there is still a po...
- Then I see you standing there Wanting more from me...
- Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the o...
- Sometimes I feel like the ocean. A wave comes, a w...
- A small dwelling in the wild meadows will be enoug...
- We've got this gift of love, but love is like a pr...
- You have to laugh at yourself because you'd cry yo...
- And you thought Princess Consuella Bananahammock a...
- Wow...it's been such a long time since I've been h...
- It's been over six months since I started going ou...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home