I haven't been this sick in awhile. Last year I was proud of the fact that the cold and flu season left me untouched. But last week, when a preview of winter blew by, I was unable to stand my ground. I'm recovering now - finally - after a week and half, half a bottle of echinacea drops, a nasty dose of Buckley's, various Chinese "remedies", and when I couldn't stand it anymore, a visit to the walk-in clinic to get those huge antibiotic horse-tranquilizer pills.
Which begs the question: Do I have a bacterial or viral infection? The doc peered into my throat for a couple seconds, then felt my throat and said, "Your tonsils are swollen". (Yes! Thank you for that expert assessment!) He didn't get a swab of my throat, check my breathing (ahem, didn't I just tell him I had a hacking cough?), my temperature or my ears. And of course I didn't complain, cause he's not my regular doctor and for some reason I get intimidated by doctors I'm not familiar with...and did I mention that he's really huge and that he sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger? So yeah, I know that I might be contributing to the creation of superbugs, but I'd been waiting for...well...it seemed like forever, and I thought, I just need to get some drugs so that I can get back into the pajamas I've been wearing for the past three days and lie like a sack of potatoes in front of the tv. I needed to get out of that sick place and back into my own germy world. So I did.
---
For someone who is normally viewed (by herself and others) as a quiet person, I've found it quite frustrating to lose my voice over the past few days. I can still speak, but only in a painful, hoarse whisper. (Just call me the hoarse whisperer.) According to Vivian, I sound like a crank-calling pervert over the phone.
I wonder what it's like to lose your voice and be a talkative person by nature.
---
Last night was the first time since Thursday that I've been able to sleep in my own bed. Being horizontal has been a killer instigator for my cough, so I've been sleeping in a seated position on the couch downstairs. I feel sorry for Mei mei (our dog), who sleeps a short distance down the hall from the family room and who had to endure my constant cough and my frequent visits to the washroom to get rid of all my phlegm (what a weird word).
---
I'm 27 years old, but there's nothing like having your mom around to pamper you when you're sick. She's been making me soup and congee, fluffing up my pillows and piling on the blankets. Thanks, mom!
---
Mmm...apple pie. Khiem brought back an apple pie from the Big Apple for Thansgiving dinner on Monday. I've been sneaking slices the past couple days because I'm sure my mom would say that it's not healthy for me to eat pie (according to Chinese medicine, baked goods would probably fall under the foods with "heat" category, and with me being sick, I've already got a lot of "heat" and need to eat more foods that are "cool" to balance out my chi). Sorry, mom!
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
Blogs
my del.icio.us
Previous Posts
- You're kidding, right? As I was listening to the...
- Welcome to the new "look"! I've had a bit of time ...
- Mei mei has been on permanent vacation at our hous...
- Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if...
- From my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston at an ...
- I arise in the morning torn between a desire to im...
- The spacebaron my keyboard at work isn’tworking pr...
- Mountains, hills, they're all called "san". ~ L.M....
- Ride the Rocket - The Better Way. ~ Toronto Transi...
- I miss James, but I can't call him becuase he's in...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home