Thursday, August 03, 2006

Today's track: I'm Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage

So I'm blogging for a few reasons:

1. I can't seem to finish writing a report that's slightly (read: 2 months) overdue and of course the natural thing to do is procrastinate blog.
2. I've been working on budgets for the last two days at work and really need a break from numbers.
3. I know my legions of fans are (not) waiting for me to return.

My Favourite Show
These are exciting times: vacations, heat waves and lightning storms, fishing extravaganzas and mosquito-bitten arms, bbqs and of course, the return of my most favourite summer tv show, Rockstar. Yes, it's ten times better than American Idol and it's doing much better than the ill-fated The One (poor George). Check it out on youtube.

The Program
Aside from watching Rockstar this summer, I joined a dragonboat team. This is not really something I thought I would ever do, but it's turned out to be pretty fun and a really good work out. As I write, I am trying not to fidget in my seat (as I tend to do when I'm at my desk) because my abs, shoulders and lower back are in pain. It's good pain though - I need it. Since the beginning of the year I've been feeling like a zombie, waking up, napping on the subway, feeling groggy at work, napping on the subway, eating, staying up late, going to sleep. Repeat. After I came back from vacation in Vancouver, I thought I was going to be refreshed, but the same thing happened again.

I was super tired all the time so I thought I had to sleep more. Then I wore a skirt that once sat below my below belly button. It now sits about 1 cm above it. Yeah, you know what that means. I know it too. I had to go on The Program: I started going to the gym again, and now I'm going to dragonboat practices where they actually make you run to warm up and the coach is like a personal trainer, except she can train 20+ people at once, which is nice. My sister also sent me an article about how you can't burn fat if you don't have a regular sleep schedule and at least 7 hours sleep, so I've been trying to go to sleep at the same time every night, but it's hard. Anyway, I started feeling better, and I didn't feel like I needed to nap on the subway anymore. Ok, so I still do it, but much less. I'm filling my brain with new ideas again by returning to my bookworm roots instead of flopping my tired head on the shoulder of the guy next to me.

New Digs
I'm not exactly in a position to move out yet, but I'm happy to report that us kids are helping to renovate my parents' place. The powder room's finished and the bathroom is in working order even though there's no mirror, we're using the old fixture and there's no paint on the walls. The important thing is that the shower works though - no more having to beg my boyfriend and friends to use their facilities after a hot summer day.

Next on the list is the kitchen. My sister and her boyfriend got me watching a show called Freaks and Geeks awhile ago - a great series that unfortunately got cancelled. Anyway, aside from the great actors and realistic storylines, the series is set in the 80s, when homes were decorated with wallpaper, wood panelling, vinyl floors and shag carpets. Can you picture it? Maybe not, maybe you never lived in a house like that, but I STILL DO. So I'm not digressing here when I talk about Freaks and Geeks. The kitchen of the home of the main character reminded my sister's bf of our house. Yeah, so it's time for a reno! We even have the green fridge and stove that use five times more energy than a new model. Those items are almost as old as me (check my profile if you really need to know how old I am). Needless to say, we've been trying to get my parents to renovate for the longest time now and they're finally just getting the hang of it. We just bought a new fridge and stove yesterday. Yay! We're on our way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home