Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Today's track: Somebody - Depeche Mode

Early on in our relationship, Shaky and I had a discussion about what types of things we're interested in (aside from our mutual likes/dislikes) and how we might explore each other's interests. For instance, I said that I would be open to watching football on Sundays if he'd explain what was going on, and he said that he'd go to a classical music concert with me to see if he liked it or not. We agreed that we'd try different things out and remain open-minded. I was excited about the prospect of learning more about him, maybe learning something in the process and maybe even finding that I really do love football (or poker or snowboarding...) and just didn't know it all these years.

I'm still working on the whole football thing - I still can't sit through a whole game and get super excited about this or that team winning, and I still don't have any idea what the team names are, but at least I know what the line of scrimmage is, how many downs there are, what a field goal is and what a blitz involves. I was second place in a recent poker tournament with some friends, and this year, for the first time (it's my second year out in the snow), I got off the chair lift by myself (a major accomplishment for my clumsy self) and learned how to make a right turn with my snowboard, which I'm very excited about.

So, what's Shaky been up to? Well, even though he affectionately calls me an activist, he's taken more of an interest in the environment than I thought he would in a short time span. Who knows? Maybe I have an activist in the making!

And...after carefully choosing the right concert, I finally took him to the symphony last week. I really didn't know whether he would like it, but I was pleasantly surprised by his reaction. He explains it all so much better in his blog that I suggest you take a look at it here in an amusing interpretation of the night's events.

---

Two worlds collide...

100,000: (a) the amount of money Shaky's company spent on a 4-day sales meeting for about 50 people; (b) also just shy of the annual budget of the environmental organization I work for (with a staff of two people who work very hard to raise that money!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home