Tuesday, January 25, 2005

After more than a month of not knowing, I found out that I'm one of 15 people who got accepted into a new management/leadership program that's being developed at the University of Guelph. The program's specifically tailored for young people in the conservation field, and is being described as a mini-mba. Nothing like it currently exists in Canada, and to my knowledge, there's only one institute in the States that focuses on professional development for people in the environmental field. So it's about time we had something like this in Canada!

What's good about this is that I still get to keep my job because most of the work will be independent/group work, I have full support from my work to take paid days off to attend intense workshops ("school") and I'll get to increase my network of contacts. Maybe I'll even get some more ideas about what I want to do for my grad work (more on that in some future blog). The wheels are turning...I'm on my way...

---

Many people in North America work 8-hour days, five days a week, and many people work more than that. That's almost a THIRD of a person's life, and HALF of a person's waking life from the ages of approximately 25 to 60/65. If you think about, most people only like to spend time with people they like, and participate in activities that they enjoy, so why not bring that into work-life as well? Sometimes you just have make ends meet, but if it's at all possible, work hard to do something you love. It's worth it!

2 Comments:

At 1:23 a.m., Blogger Shaky Jake said...

I had no doubts you'd get in :)

 
At 7:57 p.m., Blogger Hed Candi said...

I didn't know you were even applying! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home